Facial reconstruction

Search LJMU Research Online

Browse Repository | Browse E-Theses

Ultra-diffuse galaxies in the Auriga simulations

Liao, S, Gao, L, Frenk, CS, Grand, RJJ, Guo, Q, Gómez, FA, Marinacci, F, Pakmor, R, Shao, S and Springel, V (2019) Ultra-diffuse galaxies in the Auriga simulations. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 490 (4). pp. 5182-5195. ISSN 0035-8711

stz2969.pdf - Published Version

Download (1MB) | Preview


We investigate the formation of ultra-diffuse galaxies (UDGs) using the Auriga high-resolution cosmological magnetohydrodynamical simulations of Milky Way-sized galaxies. We identify a sample of 92 UDGs in the simulations that match a wide range of observables such as sizes, central surface brightness, Sérsic indices, colours, spatial distribution, and abundance. Auriga UDGs have dynamical masses similar to normal dwarfs. In the field, the key to their origin is a strong correlation present in low-mass dark matter haloes between galaxy size and halo spin parameter. Field UDGs form in dark matter haloes with larger spins compared to normal dwarfs in the field, in agreement with previous semi-analytical models. Satellite UDGs, on the other hand, have two different origins: ∼55 per cent of them formed as field UDGs before they were accreted; the remaining ∼45 per cent were normal field dwarfs that subsequently turned into UDGs as a result of tidal interactions.

Item Type: Article
Additional Information: This article has been accepted for publication in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society ©:2019 The Author(s). Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Royal Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.
Uncontrolled Keywords: 0201 Astronomical and Space Sciences; Astronomy & Astrophysics
Subjects: Q Science > QB Astronomy
Divisions: Astrophysics Research Institute
Publisher: Oxford University Press
SWORD Depositor: A Symplectic
Date Deposited: 18 Apr 2023 14:49
Last Modified: 18 Apr 2023 14:49
DOI or ID number: 10.1093/mnras/stz2969
URI: https://researchonline.ljmu.ac.uk/id/eprint/19314
View Item View Item